The Parish Council has recently extended its list of names for roads on new developments in the village, following a request from Mr Nick Allen. The four additional names are listed below with a very informative description from Mr Allen on the background to each one. The Parish Council thanks Mr Allen for his suggestions and his support.
RAILTON: Edward Railton owned Sydenham Farm, which was essentially much of the land to the east of the Aynho Road. This land was leased to Adderbury Stone Quarry in 1859. By 1869 this quarry was known as the Adderbury Ironstone Co.; a huge undertaking eventually taking in Bo-Peep farm. The iron-stone industry rapidly spread to the area north of Stilgoe’s farm; across the Oxford Road to south of Berry Hill Road. Railton lived in Sydenham House adjoining Fleet Farm.
JEDDAH: Jeddah was a young horse owned by James Larnach, a wealthy land owner who owned Adderbury House and estate. Jeddah was foaled at Stud Farm at East End; home farm to Adderbury House. Jeddah, a rank-outsider, was entered for the 1898 Derby at a 100-1. It won! Larnach had a very large bet on him so he did very well. With part of his winnings he paid for the building costs of the Parish Institute.
HONE: John Hone (1844-1915) was born in deep poverty – such that he once reported that he and his brother were so hungry they nicked some pig-swill! They broke stones for a local builder for pennies. John, however, was enterprising and ambitious. He saved enough to buy a basket – offering to walk to Banbury to purchase things, usually for local ladies and/housewives. He prospered, purchased a donkey, then a donkey and trap then a horse and large cart then several carts. He made a great deal of money and when the local Methodists needed a larger chapel he purchased the five cottages on the corner of the High Street and Chapel Lane – had then demolished and gave the land plus a very generous donation towards the building of a church and eventually gave generously for an organ.
GILKES: Richard Gilkes (1715-1787) was one of the three sons of Thomas Gilkes of Sibford; the first of the Quaker clockmakers. He moved to Adderbury in 1744, on his marriage, starting to build clocks in his own name that year. Although a Quaker he was the Parish Church clock-keeper for 38 years. His workshop, in his later years, was in the building that is now the Coach and Horses.
Adderbury History Association have an interesting web page setting out the story behind older street names in the village. The page can be seen here