The Parish Council has decided to support the Royal British Legion’s ‘Silent Soldier’ campaign to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. The Silent Soldier is a life size silhouette of a soldier returning home after his tour.
The Parish Council has agreed purchase a Silent Soldier for installation somewhere in the village, from now until the end of December 2018.
The Silent Soldier could be placed anywhere visible such as village greens, parks, playing fields and gardens, out in the fields, on buildings or perhaps by the side of the road. The Parish Council has initially thought of approaching Rev Stephen Fletcher about locating it in St Mary’s Church yard.
Do you have an idea about another location? If so please let the Parish Council know email@example.com
Following the end of the war in November 1918, the process of demobilisation and discharge was still a long process as the British Army still had commitments to fulfil in Germany, North Russia and in the garrisons of the Empire.
On arrival back in England the men would move to a Dispersal Centre, this was a hutted or tented camp or barracks where they received a railway warrant or ticket to their home station. From there they were on their own, and would be seen across the country,walking back home, down the roads and across the fields, returning to their families. Most of the war service men were back in civilian life by the end of 1919.